We are proud to announce that the theme of HCAP 2015 is
Technology and Our Generation: From the Individual to the World.
Technology is woven into the lives of 7 billion people on this planet. On the individual level, technology influences the choices we make everyday — how we relate to other people, how we spend our time and money, how we learn about the world, and what we hope to accomplish in our lives. Sometimes, technology is visible, like the smartphone app we use to keep in touch with friends across the world. Other times, technology is hidden, such as the data that tracks our Internet behavior to customize our news and ads.
As a diverse group of individuals, our experiences reveal that people from different backgrounds interact with technology in different ways. Technology has brought positive and negative change to the world. With the convenience and speed of technology, come issues of human rights and massive but meaningless data. The influx of available information has led to new questions about data analysis, individual privacy, and cultural identity.
This is only the beginning. During the 12th HCAP Conference, we seek to explore how technology relates to each of us. With increased awareness, we aim to work together using technology to solve challenges that confront our generation.
OUR PARTNER SCHOOLS
HCAP SERVICE TRIP
The HCAP Service trip is a premier teaching experience that takes place in Jiangyin, China with a weekend excursion to Shanghai. The trip is sponsored by the Vincent Woo Foundation.
Two Harvard undergraduates are chosen each year to participate in the service trip based upon myriad factors including teaching ability, enthusiasm and diversity of person and perspective. These students teach at several different schools in the Jiangyin area and share their experiences as American students.
Former participants have said the following about the program:
- “I think that the experience offered a comprehensive understanding of the Chinese education system and the culture surrounding education.”
- “I want to emphasize how crucial the student relationships were to my personal experience on this trip…I felt like I really made friends in China”
- “The food on this trip was absolutely phenomenal”
- “I felt that my homestay gave me a better understanding of the challenges facing Chinese students who want to study in the U.S.”
- “I learned a lot from the trip about the Chinese education system from many different perspectives”
- “Overall it was a great experience and I enjoyed every minute of it”